Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Style File: Alexander McQueen A/W2013 Women's Collection

Alexander McQueen is definitely one of my favourite fashion labels. Their designs remain dynamic from season to season.


The McQueen A/W 2013 Collection is exquisite, an image of luxury mediated by a  skilled contemporary approach to the theme of 'royalty'. The catwalk pieces present us with an augmented aesthetic- a blending of traditional wild extravagance with altered, contemporary silhouettes. Off-shoulder cuts were popular, as well as dress trains and beaded and embroider patterns. Housed in a regal gallery-like setting, the show is centre stage for these marvellous pieces.

Although this collection is a inspired by royal costume, I don't see pure extravagance in these designs inspired by extravagance. It is clear to me that there is a visible element of control. The designs are bound by order, weight, and title that allude to the theme of royalty- it's clear in the exquisite caged headpieces most of the models donned and by the monotony of the colour palette that further entices restricted tradition. Beading and detail was the focus rather than pushing the envelope with line and shape- which would be expected of this theme. I love the varied approach to the concept as it is subtle but still powerfully executed at the same time.
Alxender McQueen has also translated the essence of the inseason designs into their womenswear collection as well. The pieces offer tidy lines and allude to minimalism while still remaining regal, and more importantly, wearable.

I'm in love with the silhouettes of these pieces- the clean lines and defined shapes reference to a more contemporary, minimalist style too. Hems and necklines are cut to perfection- staying classy but also fabulous. Everything is so on point and not only adheres to current trends, but defines new ones too.
 Dresses are definitely a standout- most being sleeved which is unique for modern trends. I'm impressed, and definitely a sleeve type of girl. They're flattering, classy and sexy at the same time. Another gorgeous recurring style in their collection is the square neckline reminiscent of medieval dress. It's been given the mod with short hems and a sexy slim fit like in the black dress below, teamed up with rose gold/gold- the elegance!
The new A/W 2013 collection is perfect. I love the pieces and can imagine all you fashion lovers out there dreaming of warming up in these sexy numbers. Yes, I'm in the southern hemisphere right now, where it's sweltering hot while the rest of the world is preparing for snow. But I can still dream can't I? Or at least admire from afar...

0 comments:

Post a Comment


CONTACT

find me at thestyleavenger@gmail.com for business inquiries and any questions :)



I want to have no limits and gain the confidence to wear whatever I want.

I am a driven, and upfront girl who says what she thinks with a passion to explore, identify and improve. I hope you will join me in feeling free and defying what society has pre determined as being fashionable and confident!

LOVELY READERS!